- 70th annual Motor Trend Car of the Year award honors the vehicle that best represents advancement in design, engineering excellence, safety, efficiency, value and performance of intended function
- Motor Trend judges evaluated 26 models with 46 variants to determine the Alfa Romeo Giulia as 2018 Car of the Year®
- The most awarded sedan of the year, the all-new Alfa Romeo Giulia reinvents the premium mid-size sedan segment with an unprecedented level of Italian craftsmanship, class-leading performance, state-of-the-art technology and a true passion for driving
The editors of Motor Trend today named the Alfa Romeo Giulia as its 2018 Car of the Year®, best representing exceptional value, superiority in its class and impact on the automotive scene.
"The Motor Trend Car of the Year award acknowledges all of the hard work, dedication and passion that went into developing the entire Giulia lineup – including our record-breaking Giulia Quadrifoglio – which revolutionizes the segment and pays tribute to our storied heritage and racing pedigree," said Reid Bigland, Head of Alfa Romeo. "We are honored to be the first Italian brand to ever receive this prestigious award and we're excited for the future of Alfa Romeo here in North America and abroad."
Motor Trend's Car of the Year program is open to any all-new or substantially upgraded 2017 model-year vehicles. Rather than being compared against one another, contending vehicles are first put through Motor Trend's full battery of performance tests to measure acceleration, braking and limit handling.
All contenders are then evaluated on three separate courses at a professional automotive test center before finalists are selected. Out of its third largest field ever, Motor Trend's judges narrowed the field to eight Car of the Year finalists, including the Alfa Romeo Giulia.
"Motor Trend's judges agreed that the Alfa Romeo Giulia is the new ultimate driving machine," said Ed Loh, Motor Trend Editor-in-Chief. "Alfa Romeo developed a car that is perhaps the finest handling sedan on the market."
All "Of the Year" contenders were selected by Motor Trend judges and evaluated against six key criteria: advancement in design, engineering excellence, safety, efficiency, value and performance of intended function. The 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia best represents these six key elements, which also characterize what consumers most want in their next vehicle.
Contenders are put through a grueling battery of tests to determine which vehicles best represent exceptional value, superiority in its class and impact on the automotive scene. The 2018 Car of the Year competition included more than 7,000 miles of driving, including real-world testing with potholes, jagged pavement, steep grades, misaligned railroad crossings and avoidance maneuvers.
Alfa Romeo Giulia models feature an all-new, all-aluminum, 2.0-liter, direct-injection turbo engine with an eight-speed automatic transmission that delivers a class-leading, standard 280 horsepower and 306 lb.-ft. of torque, allowing it to launch from 0-60 mph in 5.1 seconds, and achieve a top speed of 149 mph*.
As the lineup's "halo" model, the Giulia Quadrifoglio highlights Alfa Romeo's performance and motorsport knowhow with its best-in-class 505 horsepower, 0-60 miles per hour (mph) in 3.8 seconds and a record-setting 7:32 lap time around the legendary Nürburgring – fastest ever by a four-door production sedan.
All Giulia models offer:
- Near-perfect 50/50 weight distribution thanks to Giulia's all-new rear-wheel-drive Giorgio architecture and class-exclusive standard carbon fiber driveshaft
- Class-leading horsepower
- Unique Italian style and craftsmanship to the premium mid-size sedan segment
- A 55-year heritage of Giulia's lightweight, performance sedan tradition and more than 100 years of brand history, carving its legend on road courses around the globe