Inspired by Iceland, today announced the continuation of Taste of Iceland 2022, an annual celebration of Icelandic culture in North America. Kicking off the series of fall festivals, Chicago is hosting Taste of Iceland from Sept 1-3. Throughout the weekend, locals can transport themselves to Iceland with a series of events inspired by, and in celebration of, the best of Icelandic culture through food and beverage, music, literature, films, art and more.
Over the course of the four-day festival, and in partnership with local businesses in Chicago, and Taste of Iceland's official partners, events will be hosted by Bistronomic, Martyrs, Logan Theatre, Yoga View, Wildwood Studio, The Exchange, and After-Words Bookstore. The schedule of events includes:
- Culinary Experience with Blue Lagoon Iceland: Hosted daily starting at 5:00 p.m., from September 1-3, and brunch starting at 10 a.m. on September 4, at Bistronomic, located at 840 N. Wabash Ave.
- Reykjavik Calling Concert, curated by Iceland Airwaves, featuring Icelandic Musicians, Lón, RAKEL, Axel Flóvent, and DJ Hermigervill: September 1, from 7 p.m. - 11 p.m., at Martyr's, located at 3855 N. Lincoln Ave.
- Cocktail Class Presented by Icelandic top shelf brands, Reyka Vodka and Ólafsson Gin: September 2, from 5 p.m. - 7 p.m. at The Exchange, located at 224 S Michigan Ave.
- Lamb Film Screening and Q&A with Director Valdimar Johannsson: September 2 at 8 p.m., at the Logan Theatre, located at 2646 N Milwaukee Ave.
- Elemental Sound Bath with Jósa Goodlife: September 3, at 1 p.m. at Yoga View, located at 2211 N Elston Ave, Ste 200.
- Secret of the Sprakkar with Iceland's First Lady, Eliza Reid: September 3, at 4 p.m., at After-Words Bookstore, located at 23 E Illinois St.
- Exploring Iceland with 66° North and Photographer Alex Strohl: September 3, at 7 p.m., at Wildwood Studio, located at 2138 W Roscoe St.
- Wheel of Prizes Presented by Icelandair: Held once daily, at various events (additional details below), participants will have the opportunity to win a variety of prizes, including a trip for two to Iceland!
All events, aside from the Icelandic Culinary Experience at Bistronomic are free to attend. To obtain tickets to events:
- Register for tickets at the event-specific pages within the link HERE (you must be registered to receive early-bird access)
- Seven days prior to the date of each event, registered guests will receive an email to offer them early bird access to the ticket system to claim ticket(s) for guaranteed entry. The following day tickets will be available to the general public
- To claim a ticket, you must follow the steps/directions on the site, until you receive the e-ticket and barcode for entry. Note: if you do not receive a barcode, you have not completed the process.
Note: Those who register after capacity has been reached can sign-up for the wait list. 30 minutes prior to each event, waitlisted attendees will be granted access on a first-come, first-serve basis on location.
Additional information found below.
Icelandic Culinary Experience:
Hosted daily starting at 5:00 p.m. from September 1 - 3 at Bistronomic, Icelandic Chef Arnar Páll Sigrúnarson, will work in partnership with Bistronomic chef, Martial Noguier, to design a three-course menu of traditional Nordic fare, inspired by some of the most beloved dishes at Blue Lagoon´s Lava Restaurant. The prix-fixe menu is $80 per person, with an optional curated wine or Icelandic cocktail pairing for an additional $40, per person. On Sunday, September 4, from 10 a.m. to 1:45 p.m., guests can also enjoy an Icelandic addition to Bistronomic's brunch menu.
Reservations can be made on OpenTable or by calling (312) 944-8400. The tasting menu for dinner service includes:
- Cod: Langoustine, avocado, brandade, lovage
- Lamb: Rutabaga, mushroom, carrot
- Skyr: Blueberries, Arctic thyme, oats
Brunch menu items include:
- Smoked Arctic Char: Geothermal Icelandic rye bread, Icelandic wasabi, cucumber
- Skyr: Blueberries, Arctic thyme, oats
Reykjavik Calling Concert curated by Iceland Airwaves :
The Reykjavik Calling Concert will celebrate Icelandic music, with performances by Lón, RAKEL, Axel Flóvent, and DJ Hermigervill. The trio behind Lón, Valdimar Guðmundsson, Ásgeir Aðalsteinsson and Ómar Guðjónsson, bring together new Americana with their Icelandic roots for Nordic take on folk music. Axel Flóvent, an alternative/indie artist from Iceland whose newest album, 'You Stay by the Sea' is inspired by the search for a place to feel at peace taps into the DIY spirit of his earliest recordings. RAKEL has previously collaborated with both artists with her vocals and violin. Reykjavik Calling is free to attend, and doors open at 7 p.m. Guests can register for tickets HERE. The Reykjavik Calling Concert curated by the Iceland Airwaves festival, which will take place November 3-5 in Reykjavik. For more information on the festival and lineup, visit Iceland Airwaves.
Icelandic Cocktail Class:
A two-hour Icelandic Cocktail Class hosted by Reyka Vodka and Ólafsson Gin. DJ Hermigervill will welcome guests, and Ólafsson Gin's Brand Representative and Mixologist, Tóta as well as Reyka Vodka's Brand Representative, will make four different cocktails using the different Icelandic spirits. Attendees must be at least 21 years old with a valid ID to attend and consume alcohol. The Cocktail Class is free to attend, and guests can register for tickets HERE.
Lamb Movie Screening:
Guests can enjoy the directorial debut from Valdimar Jóhannsson, in this dark and atmospheric folktale. A childless couple in rural Iceland make an alarming discovery one day in their sheep barn and soon face the consequences of defying the will of nature. Lamb was considered for the 94th Academy Awards as the official submission of Iceland for the Best Foreign Film category. Following the screening, Director, Valdimar Johannsson will host a discussion and Q&A session, moderated by film critic, Keith Phipps. The Lamb Movie Screening is free to attend, and guests can register for tickets HERE.
Elemental Sound Bath:
Icelandic Energy Healer, Jósa Goodlife, will take attendees on an elemental journey beyond time and space, with a deeply relaxing and uplifting program with healing sounds from Icelandic nature that will leave guests feeling rejuvenated. Attendees will receive a yoga mat, a facial towel, Silica Mud Mask and Body Oil, from Blue Lagoon Iceland; a blanket, compliments of Icelandair; and water from Icelandic Glacial. The Elemental Sound Bath is free to attend, and guests can register for tickets HERE.
The Write Stuff with Iceland's First Lady, Eliza Reid:
Celebrate Iceland's rich storytelling tradition with a talk hosted by First Lady of Iceland and co-founder of the Iceland Writers Retreat, Eliza Reid. Eliza will discuss her critically acclaimed book 'Secrets of the Sprakkar,' and how she explored the cultural roots of Iceland's attitude towards equality and examined how her home country can continue to progress. The Write Stuff with Eliza Reid is free to attend, and guests can register for tickets HERE.
Exploring Iceland with 66°North and Photographer Alex Strohl:
The photo exhibition titled, "Exploring Iceland with Alex Strohl" will display photos captured in Iceland by 66° North Brand Ambassador and adventure photographer, Alex Strohl. For more than a decade, the photographer and entrepreneur, Alex Strohl has pioneered the visual style of the outdoor industry, lauded by the likes of National Geographic, Outside Magazine, Gentleman's Journal, and more. Through this exhibition and chat, Alex will share his experiences and stunning images taken in Iceland that tell the stories of his travels in The East Fjords of Iceland by sailboat & gravel bike. The Fireside Chat is free to attend, and guests can register for tickets HERE.
Presented by Icelandair, the Wheel of Prizes gives participants the chance to win a range of prizes, including Blue Lagoon Skincare, an Icelandic Wool Blanket from Icelandic Lamb, Wool Scarf from ISAVIA, a year's supply of Icelandic Provisions' Skyr, cases of sparkling and still water from Icelandic Glacial, a Reyka Vodka package, a Olafsson Gin package, a Tindur Shearling jacket and Surtsey Knit Cap from 66°North, a collection of Icelandic records from the city of Reykjavik, Landsvirkjun's Nordic Wasabi Gift Box, or the grand prize, a trip for two to Iceland from Icelandair, including a stay at the Silica Hotel at the famed Blue Lagoon and a 72-Hour City-card from Visit Reykjavík!
People can sign up for a chance to win 50 minutes before the spins take place at the times listed below:
- September 1: Sign up at 6 p.m. to spin at 6:50 p.m., prior to the Reykjavik Calling Concert
- September 2: Sign up at 4 p.m. to spin at 4:50 p.m., prior to the Icelandic Cocktail Class
- September 3: Sign up at 12 p.m. to spin at 12:50 p.m., prior to the Elemental Sound Bath
- September 3: Sign up at 2 p.m. to spin at 2:50 p.m., prior to Exploring Iceland with 66°North
Taste of Iceland's 2022 events have previously been held in Washington D.C., Boston, MA and Denver, CO. Following Chicago, the tour will continue on with additional stops in Toronto, Canada and Seattle, WA. For more information on Taste of Iceland, Chicago, please visit InpsiredbyIceland.com